Nutrition Research Internship
Are you interested in diet and would like to explore this in a research setting?
TwinsUK is looking for motivated 3-6 month internships with knowledge of the UK diet to enter diet records into nutrient analysis software for a large, long-running study on the human gut microbiome. Familiarity with portion sizes, food preparation and diet analysis software is an asset. This position could lead to a future publication.
Research Administration Internship
Are you interested in a career in research administration within a healthcare/university setting?
TwinsUK is looking for motivated interns for an initial 3 month internship in general research administration and academic research support to scientific studies. Knowledge and previous administration experience will be helpful. This position could lead to future employment.
How to Apply
If you are interested please send the following to Victoria Vazquez:
1. Your CV and a statement indicating:
- your preferred area of work
- when you would like to start
- how long you would like to work with us (minimum requirement is one month)
- how many days a week you can contribute
- how many hours a day you can contribute
2. A reference (on official letter-head paper). This must be from your current tutor/employer (with contact details) confirming your current area of study/research and your progress.
Please note: Without this reference letter we cannot proceed with you application.
All you travel expenses will be covered.
“I was first introduced to the Department of Twin Research by friends who are on the twin database, and being a twin myself this was very interesting to me. A year later, I saw on the DTR website that they were looking for interns, so I applied to be an intern for 8 weeks. I expected to learn how a research department works, and how they collect the data, which is exactly what I experienced. I also helped with cleaning the data, and had the opportunity to observe what happens when the twin’s have their clinical visit. I had an amazing time at DTR and the weeks went too fast, I would love to have stayed longer. Everyone in the department was very welcoming and friendly, and anyone who is interested in research should apply for the intern positions to get the same great experience that I got.”
Aoife – Summer 2012 (BSc – Psychology, Glyndŵr University in Wrexham, North Wales)
“I really enjoyed my time at the DTR. It gave me first-hand insight into the area of scientific research. Everyone was very helpful and supportive and I gained a practical chance to utilise the skills and knowledge I have acquired at university so far.”
Jody – Summer 2012 (BSc – Biochemistry, UCL, London)
The Department of Twin Research is currently offering internship opportunities for volunteers interested in gaining experience on any of the areas listed below:
- Data entry from research studies
- Data cleaning (minimum 6 weeks)
- Routine sample processing at the laboratory – laboratory does not have specific genetic profile as it is a biobank
- IT support
- General administration tasks